Bill Hulet Editor


Here's the thing. A lot of important Guelph issues are really complex. And to understand them we need more than "sound bites" and knee-jerk ideology. The Guelph Back-Grounder is a place where people can read the background information that explains why things are the way they are, and, the complex issues that people have to negotiate if they want to make Guelph a better city. No anger, just the facts.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Happy Yule!

One of the nice things about being a literate person in the modern age is the ability to read old, old books. I like to do this because it acts as a window into a different world. This helps me put the present times into perspective and gives me the evidence I need to discard some of our modern world's deepest superstitions.

One of the books I am talking about are the Icelandic Sagas, which record the age of the old Norse. They were written down long after Iceland had embraced Christianity, but they retain enough of the "old ways'" flavour that I think I can get some inkling of pre-Christian Europe. One passage I loved to read was where family and friends had gathered for the Yule celebration. I suspect that most of us would recognize much that went on---people traveling to visit bringing gifts, a decorated tree brought into the house, a roaring fire, and, lots of food and drink.

So when people complain about wanting an "old-fashioned Christmas", I agree, whole-heartedly. I say "yes! I want to go back to celebrating Yule!"

In keeping with that tradition, I'm taking a three week vacation from this blog, my day job, and, I'm just going to relax, enjoy time with friends, and, eat and drink. It's been a hard year for me in many ways. As we enter the shortest day and longest night of the year (Dec 21st) I will reflect on the fact that winter will not last forever, nights will grow shorter, and, no matter how bad it seems there are always green shoots hidden beneath the snow. So enjoy your family and friends!

Norse Yule Celebration, Image: Reykjavik City Museum, c/o The Lincolnite
(Since I posted this, I noticed all the women are working and the men are having a good time.
Not much different from my childhood---but I can at least remember ploughing until midnight one Xmas eve.)

No comments:

Post a Comment