Bill Hulet Editor


Here's the thing. A lot of important Guelph issues are really complex. And to understand them we need more than "sound bites" and knee-jerk ideology. The Guelph Back-Grounder is a place where people can read the background information that explains why things are the way they are, and, the complex issues that people have to negotiate if they want to make Guelph a better city. No anger, just the facts.

Saturday, May 14, 2022

Cult Smashers: Part Twenty Four

Eric had been a member of the Dancin Folz for several years before someone he’d never met before asked him what he was doing to make a living. He had finally gotten a job stocking shelves at the local Walmart, but that hardly paid for the gas he used to drive to work. As a result, he was a little reluctant to say. But when the local chapter leader walked over and suggested to him that the new guy was “worth talking to”, he opened up.

He never gave his name, and Eric thought he’d have been annoyed if anyone had asked him to say it. But there was something about him. He wore jeans like everyone else, but those snakeskin cowboy boots weren’t cheap. Neither was the hat on his head. No doubt about it, the guy had money. And he was interested in Eric. So he told him the truth.

“Have you ever thought about a job in law enforcement?”

“Not really, I always assumed that after being fired from the town I would never be able to get hired. I also figured those jobs all went to vets anyway.”

“There might have been problems, but with the right friends a bright guy like you shouldn’t have any trouble getting into the local force. There’s an opening and I’d be willing to pull some strings to get you hired. You see, the Dancin Folz likes to have some people on the inside of the police force. That allows us to know what’s going on before nasty surprises pop up---if you know what I mean.”

“I think I do. Are there any ‘catches’ I should know about?”

“Good question. I’m glad you asked first. You see we need someone who can do things on the QT. If we have you on the inside, you can’t go to any events or meetings like this anymore. Instead, you would just answer to me. Mostly, you’d just have a job in the police force---but if you see something that I want you to tell me about, you do. Similarly, there may come a time when I want you to do something for me.”

“What sort of things?”

“Well, if the police get a line on Black Lives Matter planning a protest, I’d like to hear about it too. And as for more active things---it’ll be like the secretary I’m going to ask to change your city personnel file to erase any mention of your being fired, fill out the form so you have the best grades on the aptitude test, and, then move your application to the top of the pile.”

“Oh!”

“The Dancin Folz are a team and I think it’s time to get you off the bench and onto the field.”

&&&&

Furthermore I say unto you, the Climate Emergency must be dealt with!

No comments:

Post a Comment